Since learning APL in his first year of high school in 1975, Brian P Becker has spent the majority of time since then working with 3 APL language purveyors - I.P. Sharp Associates, STSC, and Dyalog Ltd and several businesses using APL across a wide variety of industries and applications including:
- A long-range financial planning system that helped companies consolidate their charts of accounts when merging.
- An APL-based source code management system
- Manufacturing requirements planning systems
- Voice and data network design tools
- Applications to track and manage USA Federal legislative and regulatory information
- An APL-based full-text search engine
- Electronic medical records management systems
- Governance, risk, and compliance applications
- Frameworks that help APL applications run on the web
- and a plethora of tools, utilities, and amusements
Brian has served as Dyalog LTD's APL Tools Architect since March 2011. Additionally, Brian has maintained his own APL consultancy, Blue Dolphin Solutions, LLC since 1983. In the 1990's Brian contributed to the design of the first user command system and several of his ideas have found their way into various APL implementations. Brian has been involved with the APL Problem Solving Competition since its inception in 2009, first as a judge and also later as its primary problem content developer. Based on the feedback from a competition winner, Brian implemented the first version of TryAPL in 2012.
Brian has been recognized for his work in APL when he received the New York State Data Processing Association's Award of Excellence and twice by ACM/SIGAPL for innovative use of APL.
Says Brian, "I've been quite blessed to be able to work in so many fields, with so many talented and good people and APL has been the constant thread throughout that time."